Engagement of Vehicles by SHG Federations for distribution of SNP and MDM
SHGs and SHG Federations have come a long way after the initiation of Mission Shakti programme by Government of Orissa in 2004. Today they are forced to be reckoned in Koraput District. As an important step in the direction of sustainable income generation activity, adding a great value to the existing Government programmes, Four Block Federations of Koraput district will purchase vehicles and engage them in distribution of SNP and MDM programme.
Main facets of the activities are as follows:
• Two times in the recent past 3 months, stocks of India mix which is supplied for SNP in Koraput district have been seized while being diverted and black marketed in the open market, which raises serious concern about the role of private transporting agencies engaged in supplying these food stuffs at the door steps.
• 10 of the 14 Block Federations in Koraput are vibrant and have got involvement into many important income generating activities like collection of cashew nuts, Haldi (Tamarind), processing of dals etc. It was decided in the District Advisory Committee meetings of Federations to assign the responsibility of distribution of SNP / MDM food stuffs to the SHG Federations.
• Main benefit of the programme will be community involvement and collective supervision in stead of only a profit motive behind the activity.
• It will also give training to the SHGs and Federations in carrying out income generations activities, managing resources and will give confidence to venture into many new areas, which will give new dimensions to the community empowerment and eradication of poverty, especially in this backward and thickly tribal populated district.
• With these objectives, four vehicles will be purchased for Jeypore, Koraput, Borigumma and Kotpad blocks by concerned Mission Shakti Federations and will be engaged in the respective blocks for SNP and MDM programmes.